For the people that they want to make a start into the penetration testing industry it is really important to build their knowledge in a structure way. Books can provide guidance and build the foundation knowledge that is required for a start.
In nowadays there are plenty of books written by penetration testers for penetration testers that provide technical examples so it would be easier for the reader to understand them and obtain as well some practical skills.
The skills that someone will require by reading a technical book and following the examples in his home lab environment will not only be useful for a potential job interview but on his day to day job as well.
As a starting point the following books are recommended:
- The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing
- Penetration Tester’s Open Source Toolkit
- Nmap 6 Network Exploration and Security Auditing Cookbook
- Network Security Assessment
- Professional Penetration Testing
- Penetration Testing – A Hands On Introduction to Hacking
- Hacking with Kali
- Metasploit: The Penetration Tester’s Guide
- The Web Application Hacker’s Handbook
- The Tangled Web: A Guide to Securing Modern Web Applications